Dot-com Adopters lead the charge in embracing eco-friendly tech
Our research has identified a new generational tribe – the Dot-com Adopters – and we've teamed up with Carol Vorderman to celebrate them.
Are you a Dot-com Adopter?
Remember the sound of a dial-up modem? Remember not being able to use the landline and be online at the same time? If so, chances are you're a Dot-com Adopter.
Dot-com Adopters are people who were aged 18-35 when the world wide web launched in 1989. Now 48-65 year olds, they witnessed the birth of the internet and saw smart technology evolve into a platform that's central to our lives today.
- Five inventions you could see in the Smart E-Home of the future – innovations in housing and in technology are set to transform the way we live in just a few short years.
Dot-com Adopters: a forward-thinking generation
Our poll found that some Dot-com Adopters weren't particularly convinced by the internet when it launched. For example, nearly one in 10 (7%) thought it would simply 'pass them by', and nearly a fifth (17%) could only see the value for big businesses.
However, in 2019 they're the generation most likely to embrace new technologies that may help the environment. In fact, nearly half (45%) – more than younger generations – agree that we need to keep an open mind and adapt to these new technologies.
What else do we know about Dot-com Adopters?
- 55% have taken steps to become more energy efficient for environmental reasons – more than any other generation.
- They have had more energy efficiency upgrades to their home than any other younger generation. This includes switching to LED bulbs, fitting double glazing and having a smart meter installed.
- They're more likely to have been motivated to get a smart meter installed because they want to be more energy efficient (32%).
- Over half (52%) believe we need to upgrade Great Britain's energy infrastructure.
Want to reduce your energy use but not sure how? Check out these five tips to tidy up your energy use.
What does this have to do with smart meters?
Since 1989, technology has moved on beyond all expectations. However our energy system has been left behind, and still wastes millions of pounds' worth of energy each year.
As well as making it easier for people to save energy at home, smart meters are a small but essential step in the development of a new smart energy system that will help to reduce waste, save the nation money and reduce our reliance on fossil fuels.
- How smart meters upgrade Britain's energy system – find out more about the role of smart meters in our nation's energy upgrade.
Dot-com Adopters across Great Britain are setting an example to the younger generations by embracing this new tech, leading us all into a more sustainable future.
"Smart meters take the generation of energy usage to an intelligent level, and will update our energy system.
"The data that smart meters are able to generate allows our energy system to understand how much energy is being used, when and where. It's exciting.
"I'm pleased to see that my generation is leading with small, but important steps, to help our country meet its energy and environmental needs of the future."
Request your smart meter
Join the millions of Brits already helping to create a smarter future.
Simply type your energy supplier in the box below and we'll connect you.
You may also be interested in...
- How smart meters can help to reduce your carbon footprint – find out how smart meters will help us transition to a lower carbon future.
- Smart meter benefits for you – make better sense of your energy use to help you reduce it for cheaper bills.
- Mythbusting smart meter problems – we set the record straight about some of the key smart meter concerns.