Top money saving tips for prepay
Top prepay frustrations include running out of credit at inconvenient times, and having to go out to top up. Don't despair, there are things that you can do...
1. Check your credit
Once you've got a smart meter it's easy to see how much credit you've got left by checking the handy in-home display.
If you haven't been upgraded yet, get in the habit of checking how much credit you're using every day. Jot it down on your calendar or pop a chart on the fridge.
2. Think about how you pay
With smart prepay it's easy to top up credit on the go by app, online, by phone, or in or in the shops.
Payments will automatically be added to your account. If you haven't got your smart meter yet, plan ahead so you don't get caught out when you need to top up.
3. Get free energy saving advice
4. Ways to save without going cold
It’s important to keep warm, so save your heat! Don’t stand chatting with the front door open and shut internal doors and turn off the heating in rooms you rarely use. It’s not about being cold, it’s about cutting waste. Check out Phil Spencer's tips for saving energy while staying warm.
5. Keep track of your spending
Your smart meter shows you how much energy you're using in pounds and pence. If you haven’t been upgraded yet, put all your receipts in a pot on the side so you know how much you’re spending and when.
6. Claim extra cash
7. Shop around
You can still switch suppliers and make savings even if you have a traditional prepayment meter, however if you’re renting, it’s best to let your landlord know. Smart meters work in prepay and credit mode, so you’ll have more flexibility around which deals you choose.
8. Keep your top-up key or card safe
If you don’t have a smart meter yet, make sure everyone in your home knows where your top-up key or card is kept. No good having to hunt around if you need to top-up in a hurry! And you may have to pay for a replacement!
Request your smart meter
Smart meters will be provided and fitted by your energy supplier, along with a handheld in-home display, at no extra cost.
Simply type your energy supplier into the box below and we'll connect you.
You may also be interested in...
- How smart meters are helping people save - find out how others across Great Britain are saving money and energy with their smart meters.
- Energy saving tips in the kitchen with Ainsley Harriott - we teamed up with Ainsley to show how you can be more energy efficient in the kitchen.
- How smart meters could transform health and social care - as well as helping us save at home and upgrade our nation's energy system, smart meters also have the potential to help elderly and vulnerable people.