Is there an energy monster in your home?
It’s Halloween, the time of ghosts, monsters and creepy taps on the door – but what really gets Brits feeling spooked? The garden, cupboard under the stairs or the basement are some of the top places that energy monsters are lurking at this time of year.
Take our quiz to find out what’s hiding in your dark corners and, more importantly, how to get rid of them. Read on if you dare…
Do you know where your energy meters are?
- A. Hiding far away at the back of a cupboard, buried under mountains of broken vacuums, novelty slippers and 1980s Christmas decorations
- B. Somewhere in the basement behind spiders and cobwebs, guzzling up terrifying amounts of energy
- C. I have no idea, I prefer to ignore my energy meters
- D. I know exactly where they are, but there must be an easier way to read them
How do you feel when you get your energy bill?
- A. I like to pretend it doesn't exist
- B. I'm always in complete shock at how much energy I've used
- C. I run and hide and hope it will go away
- D. Relaxed - I'm pretty on top of our energy spend
What is your first thought when you know you're due a meter reading?
- A. If i just ignore it, it will go away eventually
- B. I imagine terrifying amounts of energy being sucked from my bank account
- C. What's a meter reading?
- D. It's a necessary evil, but there must be a better way
How do you feel about your energy consumption?
- A. The thought of shock energy bills jolts me awake at night
- B. It's just out of my control!
- C. I have no idea how to be cleaner and greener with my energy use so would rather ignore it
- D. I have a fairly good idea of how much I use and how to keep it under control
How do you view your energy meters?
- A. An unnecessary evil I choose to pretend don't exist
- B. An uncontrollable beast ready to spring into life as I turn the heating on
- C. A mindless creature with no appreciation for my money or the environment
- D. I don't give them much thought, but the system could probably be improved
If you answered...
You like to pretend your energy meter doesn't exist, and would rather not have to see or hear them at any point, much like a ghost.
Your energy meters are crouching in your house like a blood-thirsty vampire, existing only to suck energy from the grid and cash from your pocket.
Your energy meters are zombies, lurking in your garden and leaving you unable to understand how much your energy is costing you and what you are using.
You aren't easily spooked and do a pretty good job of keeping those energy monsters under control.
How can you get rid of these vile beasts?
The answer's simple - join the 12 million people who have already requested a smart meter from their energy supplier at no extra cost.
Smart meters will help you to keep a near real time track on your energy spend and send automatic meter readings to your energy supplier - so you'll never need to enter the Cupboard of Doom again.