Sacha Deshmukh, Chief Executive of Smart Energy GB said:
“Smart meters will bring a pay-as-you-go revolution to the energy market. The national upgrade of our gas and electricity meters is making it possible for energy suppliers to launch new, smart pay-as-you-go services, like Ovo’s PAYG+. Smart meters are designed to operate either in credit or pay-as-you-go mode, so you can choose and switch between payment methods without needing a new meter installed. This will transform the current experience of prepayment customers.
“Smart Energy GB research shows that nearly half (48 per cent) of the British population would welcome the convenience of smart pay-as-you-go, and the opportunity to top up their gas and electricity credit online, or over the phone, in the same way as you would top up a mobile phone or travel card.
“Today's clunky prepayment meters present real challenges for people. You have to take your key to the shop to top it up and your credit could run down any time, in any weather. It's inconvenient, particularly for anyone with a disability, or who lives any distance from their local shop. Smart meters and smart pay-as-you-go could transform this experience for millions of people around Great Britain."
Notes to editors
Smart Energy GB’s research, Attitudes around buying gas and electricity with smart pay-as-you-go, found the following:
- Over three quarters (76 per cent) of British people currently using prepayment credit key meters are interested in smart pay-as-you-go
- Almost half (48 per cent) of the population is interested in using smart pay-as-you-go services to buy their gas and electricity
- 65 per cent of the population like the idea of being able to manage credit online
- 71 per cent of prepayment customers agree that not needing to top up at a shop would be a benefit to them and 69 per cent like the idea of not having to physically access the meter
- Smart pay-as-you-go benefits resonate in particular with younger audiences, with three out of five (59 per cent) of 18-34 year olds being interested in using smart pay-as-you-go
About Smart Energy GB
Smart Energy GB is the not-for-profit campaign for the national smart meter roll-out. It’s our task to help everyone in Great Britain understand smart meters, the national roll-out and how to use their new meters to get their gas and electricity under control. Our national campaign has already begun and will reach all households and micro-businesses in England, Scotland and Wales. About smart meters and the roll-out Smart meters will replace the analogue meters we currently have in our homes. They will provide consumers with accurate bills, near real time information on energy usage in pounds and pence, and greater control over their gas and electricity. The smart meter roll-out is an essential technology upgrade, unprecedented in its scale, to improve Great Britain’s energy infrastructure. Between now and 2020, every home and small business across England, Scotland and Wales will be offered a smart meter by their energy supplier at no extra cost. Nearly 1.4 million smart meters have already been installed. Find out how you can get a smart meter from your energy supplier.
Smart Energy GB media contacts
For more information including interview requests, case studies of smart meter users, infographics, photography and video content please contact the Smart Energy GB media team:
Alicia Painter: [email protected]; 0203 751 0745
Naomi Adams: [email protected]; 0203 751 0747