Energy saving chocolate microwave flapjacks
Your oven and other kitchen appliances can be big energy eaters, and a smart meter will show you just how hungry they are.
Our recipes help you get creative in the kitchen and cut your energy use at the same time.
Energy saving tip
Cooking in the microwave uses far less energy then using your oven, and it's much quicker!
It's not just flapjacks that you can make in the microwave, why not give our microwave cakes a try?
What you'll need:
- 75g light brown muscovado sugar
- 25g honey
- ½ tsp salt
- 100g unsalted butter
- 1 tsp vanilla paste (or extract)
- 200g jumbo oats
- 1 large banana
- 75g chocolate drops
- Mix the sugar, honey, salt, butter and vanilla paste in a small bowl
- Heat on high for 1 minute in a microwave
- Stir so the butter is melted
- Add oats and 50g of chocolate drops, stir again
- Line a non-metallic dish (approximately 8 inches in diameter) with baking paper
- Add half the flapjack mixture
- Add a layer of banana slices
- Press the remaining flapjack mixture on top
- Cook for 5 minutes on high in an 800W microwave
- Sprinkle on 25g of chocolate drops
- Microwave for 1 minute
- Leave to cool completely before serving
Request your smart meter
Everyone will be offered the opportunity to upgrade to a smart meter by their energy supplier.
Smart meters will be provided and fitted by your energy supplier, along with a handheld in-home display, at no extra cost.