As the national lockdown starts to be eased many energy suppliers are offering their customers the opportunity to upgrade to smart meters. Energy suppliers are implementing new socially distant ways of installing the technology and new safety procedures to minimise the risk of spreading COVID-19. Eligibility may vary. Temporary local lockdown measures may also affect eligibility.Find out more
WHY ARE SMART METERS SO IMPORTANT FOR BRITAIN'S ENERGY UPGRADE?
Smart meters enable our energy system to understand how much energy is being used, where and when. This means big things for our nation's future and carbon footprint.
1) Smart meters are making our energy system smarter
The data that smart meters are able to generate allow our energy system to understand how much energy is being used – and when and where – across Great Britain.
This enables the people who manage Britain’s energy system to better plan, and helps consumers to shift usage from traditional peak times.
2) Smart meters will help reduce waste in the energy system
There is a lot of waste in our energy system. This is partly due to the fact that energy has to travel a long way from where it’s generated before it gets to you.
In fact, the government predicts that the smart meter rollout could save £650m of energy wasted within the system. The system will be able to draw on more local and renewable sources of energy too.
3) Smart meters help Great Britain anticipate future energy demands
Demand for electricity in Britain is predicted to nearly double by 2050, so it's important that our energy system can cope.
Smart meters are integral to Britain meeting increased energy demands in the future because they:
- enable a flexible energy system that can use greener sources of energy;
- balance supply and demand; and
- ensure security of our energy supply.
You may also be interested in...
- Mythbusting smart meter problems – we set the record straight on some key smart meter concerns.
- Time-of-use tariffs: the benefits – includes saving money on your energy bill and supporting a cleaner, greener energy system.
- How to get a smart meter – three steps to help support Britain’s energy upgrade.