- Can I switch suppliers with a smart meter?
- Do I have to get a new smart meter every time I switch suppliers?
- No, you don't have to get a new smart meter when you switch.
- Are smart meters compatible between suppliers?
Yes. Government has set out common technical standards to ensure compatibility for smart meters between energy suppliers. All makes and models of smart meters installed as part of this national rollout must meet a common set of technical standards.
Some SMETS1 smart meters, that have not been migrated to the dedicated smart data network yet, may lose some smart functionality following a switch, however that's a temporary situation. And, it's also important to note, that even if your smart meter loses some smart functionality, it will still continue to measure your energy.
- I've got a smart meter, I've switched suppliers and lost some smart functionality
If your meter loses smart functionality this can be frustrating, but is temporary.
First generation (SMETS1) smart meters will be migrated into the new secure smart data network - fixing the issue without needing a visit from an installer. This process has begun, and is expected to be completed by the end of 2021.
Once your smart meter is migrated it will then be able to deliver all the benefits of smart, with any supplier.
- What does meter migration mean?
Migration of SMETS1 meters is a remote process of connecting first generation smart meters to the national smart meter data network.
It is happening in three stages, and has already begun. Smart meters that have lost some smart functionality are being prioritised.
If you have a SMETS1 meter, it will depend on the make and model as to when it will be migrated. If you'd like to know if yours has been migrated into the smart meter data network already, contact your supplier.
A small number of SMETS1 meters (about 0.5%) will need to be manually upgraded to SMETS2, and if your supplier should be in touch if this is the case for you.
- Do I have a SMETS1 or SMETS2 smart meter?
- Your supplier is best placed to let you know which type of smart meters you have. Please contact them directly.
- Do all first generation (SMETS1) smart meters lose their smart functionality following a switch?
No. We know that many people with a SMETS1 smart meter retain some or all of their smart function when they switch suppliers.
If your SMETS1 meter does temporarily lose smart function, you may need to send in your meter readings in order to get an accurate bill (just as you would with traditional meters).
However, your smart meter will be enrolled into the new secure data communications network, which will fix the issue. This process has already begun and is expected to finish by the end of 2021..
- I've got a second generation (SMETS2) meter - can I switch suppliers?
- Yes. SMETS2 smart meters will retain their full smart functionality following a switch. The issue with switching only relates to some first generation (SMETS1) meters.
- I've got a SMETS2 meter but I've lost smart functionality after a switch
This sounds frustrating and something that shouldn't happen. If you have a SMETS2 smart meter installed, this will send your meter reading to your energy supplier through the new national smart data network.
Whilst all energy suppliers are required to be able to use this network to receive their customers' meter readings before the end of the rollout, some suppliers aren't quite ready for this yet.
Please do let your new supplier know about your situation as they'll have more information about your particular issue as they'll have more information about your particular situation and are best placed to help you.